Malmaison Prison Oxford Hotel Review
So before we go any further, I would like to point out that this particular bucket list goal, was fully legit and lawful 😂 I had no intention of getting myself arrested and sleep in a cell overnight just to get the experience!
Say hello to the Malmaison Oxford, a beautiful boutique 4* hotel in the heart of the city center, that just so happens to be a converted prison opening its doors in 2006.
Malmaison Oxford has an incredible 95 rooms and suites which were once your average cell - check out the original cell doors and windows!
Up until 1996 this prison was still active when it was awarded a £3.8 million grant by the national lottery heritage fund to pay for extensive restoration work and damn did they deliver!
Its hard to believe that it’s only recently been converted from what once was a fully operational prison where people were plotting to get out and now they are literally paying to stay here!
Oxford castle next door, is one of the countrys oldest castles, dating back to 1971 and a wonder around the grounds is most defiantley worth your while!
The last execution to take place here was in 1950 and the hanging cell is now part of the staff quarters - lucky them! 😳
Albeit a touch freaky, I have read that this is a haunted location and must admit I did have sudden cold drafts during my stay in a warm room! FML - did I mention im a scardy cat?!
If the sound of something going bump in the night, is up your street, keep an eye out for their ghost tours an Halloween events.
Every year for my partners birthday, I love to surprise him with a hotel getaway and when I discovered this hotel, I knew instantly that he would enjoy it as much as me, especially as bad girls was filmed here!
Naturally I booked a Queen room 😉 in the main wing of the building to fully get the prison experience and I was not disappointed! You can check out a room and wing tour on my YouTube channel by clicking here.
Things to do near by:
-Visit Oxford Castle & prison; just a few meters from the hotel reception - show your room card for exclusive money off. Make sure to ask about the guided tour (1 hour long)
-The oxford Shakespeare festival runs at the oxford castle and prison between June- August
- Murder mystery evenings and jail break escape room at oxford castle & prison
- Take part in Ghost Fest! October at the castle & prison presents spine chilling events!
-Check out an original cell in the hotel- follow the stairs down from the main wing to experience how tiny, cold and dim these cells used to be. There is still the original bunk beds in there - super creepy!
- Shopping; lots of shopping! There is a big shopping complex next door as well as a large high street, with bars, pubs and restaurants.
- Go Punting - Grab a punt and take to the river to explore by boat! Check out more details of Oxford Punting here
- Make it 'cocktail o'cock!' - At the entrance of the Malmaison is a slug & lettuce, get in there for happy hour!
- Book via Booking.com using code: 9E5AD390 (or following this link) for £15 cash back on your stay, if your a new booking.com customer - we both get £15 cash back.
- Pre book your car park space, as space is super limited & is also pricey at £28.50 a day!!
- There is free Wifi throughout the hotel area. Just what we like to hear!
- For satnav directions here use postcode OX1 1AY and look for the cobbled pathway to the hotels entrance.
- Keep an eye out for offers on special occasions, I noticed when we stayed there was an amazing deal for just £99 on NYE!
Until next time,
Dream, Explore & Discover